Sunday, April 20, 2008

....still I will say "blessed be the name of the Lord"

This week has been a week of absolute tragedy for many in our nation. With the death of a man struck by lightening and then the drowning of 6 students and their teacher while on a school trip. It has been a week where the Kingdom of God has been demonstrated in a most powerful way. The faith of Christians has been on display for all to see and observe as they sought to grapple with the worst thing they could have imagined, the loss of their children, their siblings, their friends.
I have been so impressed with the way they have allowed the media in on their grief, portraying a very real response to the circumstances and a very real faith being exercised in the midst of it all.

Some quotes that have gripped me...

This from an article speaking to the father of Natasha Bray "Someone asked Mr Bray if his belief was being tested. His reply was forthright, even startling in a secular world. 'It absolutely tests my faith in God. This is another chink in the armour and tests my belief. We are saying to God, 'why has this happened? Where does this fit into your plan? I don't have an answer to that, sorry, but I do have a place in my heart to go.. I am just so glad that I know how to handle these things and know where I can take my grief."

Danie Vermeulen (board of trustees chairperson) "what you are experiencing here, its real. It's not a religion, it's a real practical thing and it's touching people and pulling them together"

Simply because we follow Jesus does not make us exempt or immune from challenging times, from pain and grief. But what these people have shown us is that through those circumstances we can have a hope beyond the grave. We have someone that we can run to....we can go to that place where despite not understanding it, or feeling it, we can still say "blessed be the name of the Lord". We can still say God is good. It may be that everything around us sucks right now, that darkness has closed in on us....but God is still Father God, he is sovereign and he grieves along with us.

When the pressure is on, what is inside us will come out...the question I have to keep asking is "what am I inputting into my life? What kind of life am I building? Am I building in such a way that when the storms of life come (and they will come) that I can remain standing?

I want to live my life in such a way that when the pain is so excruciating I can say "I don't have the answers to why....but I do have a place in my heart where I can go"...that place where God is still on the throne.

No comments: