Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Bob the Builder


My Friend Major Bob Millar was promoted to glory (Salvation Army term for when a solider dies) yesterday. I'm still trying to believe it myself. I just saw him in Dunedin a couple of weeks ago and since he signed up to facebook, we've been keeping tabs on each other!
I dont remember the circumstances under which I first met Bob but I know I was still quite young and newish to the army. Bob always made me feel significant. He would always hunt me out in a room full of people to talk to me, and see how I was going and to check I was still a Cantaburian at heart.
Seeing Bob a couple of weeks ago was great....even more so now. I wish I had bucket loads of savings so I could just hop on a plane and head down for the funeral on Saturday. Having already checked out the flights, this is impossible. So my tribute to Bob will have to be the next best thing. I am going to the Crusaders vs Chiefs game on Saturday here in Hamilton and I will be yelling extra loud for Bob!
What I love about Bob is that he loves people. Check out his blog www.millarbug.blogspot.com and you'll see that God was still teaching him how to love people more. Bob was a builder - a builder of the Kingdom of God and of people's dignity and sense of worth. I know that there will be many many people who will come out of the woodworks for his funeral on saturday. There will be many who this will be the first time they enter through the doors of a church.....I pray it wont be the last. My prayer is that Bob's passing will be the catalyst for many to enter into the kingdom and in the family of God.....so that even in death, Bob remains a builder of people and the Kingdom.
So Bob I salute you today, as a man of God who loved Jesus and people.....& the crusaders.
xxx

2 comments:

malbarmu said...

Some men become legends..

Bob served in Papua New Guinea for around 7years, some 20 odd years or so ago.

Of more recent times, travelling in the remotest parts of Papua New Guinea I have had locals say.
Do you know Major Bob.

He left an impression.

Legend???

His witness was true.

God Bless

Malcolm

cybernan said...

I was privileged to attend Major Bob's funeral. Approx 550 there. Some of his street people friends came & were sitting with Ev & the family at the front. That spoke volumes to me about how we should treat God's children. My prayer is that Bob's passing will help God to reach these people, as they think about his life & what he did for them.
Praying also that God will uphold Ev & all who mourn in His loving arms.