Saturday, April 19, 2008

2 L8 4 V8?

The V8 car racing has arrived in Hamilton at long last. It's been months of preparation for this weekend. It's good that its finally arrived. As I was driving through town yesterday afternoon watching all the bars get their outdoor seating areas set up for the influx of people, seeing the various businesses promoting themselves in various car themes and seeing the masses of people who are suddenly in our city, I had this sinking feeling....

What am I doing? Where will the Salvation Army be this weekend? I know The Nest are selling sausages to raise money for the community ministries in the city...but what about at night, when the racing is done for the day, and the thousands of people are wandering the streets, getting boozed up, possibly getting themselves into all kinds of mischief or trouble. Where are we then? Tucked up in our beds? Watching tv in our homes, oblivious to what's happening around us?

I had this sinking feeling that we as a city had missed an amazing opportunity to bring Jesus into the midst of it all.

So now I'm sitting here thinking...what can I do? It's not necessarily the wisest thing to head into the city on my own late at night. What can I even offer people? I even went so far as to think what could I wear? I have no coat that would say "here's the salvation army" and the weather is such that I wouldn't last 3 minutes wearing my uniform as such.

I'm disappointed in myself for not thinking about it sooner, to be able to rally some troops so we could head into the city and do something.....

So I'm thinking about it over the day and who knows what might happen tonight...I'm hoping for a God inspired and directed idea that I can run with at such late notice and without a lot of troops.

Gutted.....but hopeful

No comments: