Wednesday, June 25, 2008

don't pick that scab

So it seems that I've pretty much retained my right mind after yesterday's encounter with the car boot. But now I have this big scab like blob on the back of my head....and all I want to do is pick it off. You know what its like when as a kid you egot a big scab on your knee. did you ever get told that if you pick your scabs you could end up damaging your kidneys? I certainly did. I have no idea of the logic of it but it was meant to be a deterant to the temptation of picking.

Apparently they are 'designed' to simply fall off when they are no longer needed by the body...and that whole itchy thing is part of it all. Yet as a kid scabs very rarely 'fell off'. Usually I picked at them until they came off and the blood would ooze again, indicating that I was a little premature in my removal of the scab.

I think that there are times in our lives where scabs can form in our lives, and they are there for our protection and health. When we are hurt I think sometimes 'scabs' form to stop us 'bleeding to death' or getting 'infected'. Scabs are not designed to stay around forever, so I'm not suggesting that scabs build up in our lives when we experience pain and we carry them around forever. I do, however think that a moment will come when the 'scab' will come off and we are able to deal with the situation. That timeframe can be anywhere from a few days to a few years. God will not give us more than we can handle and I think that the 'scab' is one way of 'plugging' a wound up so that we can deal with it when we are able. I have had more than one friend who experienced some form of abuse as small children. In their state as children they were unable to deal or heal....but as they grew older and either became christians, or grew in their intimacy with Father God, a moment came for each of them where the scab fell off and healing took place.

I've experienced that in my own life....key moments where 'scabs' fell off and I was able to deal with that which had wounded. The temptation will always be there to pick at scabs.....but that will just cause more blood, more pain and a new scab to have to grow.

So I'm leaving the glue on my head for a couple of reasons....A. I dont want it to reopen. B. Its really strong glue. C. I dont want to lose any more hair in the process

No comments: