Wednesday, September 10, 2008

honoring those who paid the price

So last night I was having dinner with 'the family' (my spiritual dad & grand dad - although that makes him sound really old!) We got to talking about what it was like in the army years ago when they were training to be officers, what it was like pre-music teams and 'praise and worship'. It was hard for me to imagine the 'world' that they were describing. There are things that happen all the time today that I guess I take for granted. But last night listening to them talk I realised that there was a huge cost paid by individuals in order to bring about the changes and freedoms that I have always enjoyed. Can you believe that there was a time where 'songs of praise' wasn't allowed! There was a time that to use a 'songs of praise' book was what defined you as charismatic according to some. As I listened to Ivan and Malcolm share last night I felt quite overwhelmed at the sacrifice they and Glenda & Laurel (their spouses) and others made, the personal pain they must have felt along the way and their pursuit of God's goodness and presence.

I want to honor them today and say "thank you. On behalf of my generation, thank you. Thank you for carving a path, for beating back the undergrowth to make a path that we can freely walk down today. Thank you for the lead that you've passed on to us. I am determined to make the most of the lead that you have given me."

There was also a little part of me that saw that those years of struggle and adversity did something good in them. There was a refining that took place over those years that only comes by such experiences. There is a reward given to those who are willing to pay that kind of price. As I think about our current climate it is hard to imagine that there would ever be such a time again where within our own ranks opposition is great, the challenge is huge and the cost is great....but I hope and pray that if such a time exists in my lifetime, that I would do the family proud and stand the same way they stood. I pray that I might have the same courage and determination to press in to the things of God, even when the road seems very lonely and hard.

I salute you!

No comments: