Thursday, January 28, 2010

getting the right grade!

For 4 weeks now my life has been revolving around journals, essays, tests and dance performances. For four weeks now I've been bumping into an old enemy - perfection!

Somewhere along the way my brain decided that unless I got 100% in an assessment of any kind, I had otherwise failed. 99% meant that there was 1% missing. The old saying "C"'s get degrees, while true, has done little to combat the beast of perfection in my life.

The pressure that I somehow end up exerting on myself to achieve that perfect score is silly - and so time consuming!

Today I am facing a test and a dance assessment for Tonga. With everything that's been going on this week (a block course on top of usual study) I feel very under prepared for what I am about to face.

This morning as I walked to Uni I felt the Lord remind me of the account of Jesus at his baptism. Jesus had done no public ministry at that point. There is no account of healing or miracles or grand declarations about the kingdom of God.

Yet here God is declaring to Jesus that "you are my son in whom I have great delight" (depending on your translation).

What? Can that be right? Can Jesus really be delighting the Father simply by being and not doing?

I am reminded again today that perfection doesn't look like me - it looks like Jesus.

I don't need to score 100% in life because the fullness of life is not found in a score but in a saviour - Jesus.

So instead of panicking and already beating myself up for failing before I've even attempted anything, I'm going to try and dance like no ones watching ...

No comments: