Saturday, May 02, 2009

the missional church

I have an essay to do...on the missional church. I've really enjoyed this paper and there is SO much conversation taking place about it. It raises a lot of questions for me and its going to be a dialogue that I'm going to need to continue as I wrestle with some things. I have found some connections with some of the frustrations I have had over the last few years with the way i "do" church. I feel like I'm standing on the beach looking at this expansive ocean. I have this desire to just run from the shore and dive into the ocean. But I'm currently just feeling the waves wash over my feet pulling the sand out from underneath my toes..... watch this space

1 comment:

Mark said...

Personally I think the church (here comes a broad generalisation) mistakes missional for attractional. Many churches have a bent towards wanting to reach people but either have an ulterior motive (we want you in our congregation) or simply expect them to come to us (our building, our time, our rules etc).

Jesus went out of his way to be interrupted by people who wouldn't go to church and was most disliked by people already in Church. He loved unconditionally which must be extremely difficult when you already know how the person will respond. He didn't (from the outside) have any kind of plan or organisation to what he was doing and yet he changed the world.

I would love to be a part of a team in TSA who explores our roots which were missional and finds a new expression of a timeless love that changes even the most cynical and hardened critic (me).