Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Hiding behind our words

I have been reading a number of blogs over recent months and I see a trend that disturbs me. Perhaps I'm not tough enough for the reality of blogging and I just need to 'harden up'. I have seen time and time again someone blog, and then in the comments people rip them to shreds, or get very personal in their attack of the person rather than stay on topic. More often than not all of this is done under the name anonoymous. I get it that not everyone will agree, and I'm not naive enough to think that people will only every say nice stuff. But I struggle to appreciate the words of those who hide behind "no name"....

I mean would they seriously speak to these people with those words face to face? Would you be so rude, or cutting or snarky if you actually saw the other person's response to your words?

I get frustrated with argument for argument sake, or protest for protest sake. If your goal is transformation or change, then by all means enter into meaningful dialogue and action. But if all you want is a cheap shot at someone else's expense, or to throw out comments without being willing to discuss then what is the value in that? There is enough of that going on in the world to plug the ozone hole! perhaps that's what's caused it in the first place...all this hot air!

I don't mean to rant, I am typing this while trying to smile.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you heard the term textrovert? http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=textrovert

I had a conversation with someone along similar lines and brought up the fact some people feel more free to speak when they're typing. It gives them the benefit of being able to think about their response and craft their sentences appropriately.

Whether that happens? Like you say, look in the blogosphere sometime!!

Shar said...

Mark, I absolutely agree that some people find the opportunity to compose their thoughts at their own pace through typing...however those with an axe to grind or insults to fling I think still need to 'front up' and not hide behind 'anon'. If we are after change or progress then surely a two way open conversation is the way to go?